Anthony Abate, VP of design and development is responsible for creating sustainable buildings. “At HAVEN we strive to keep each of our developments green certified and energy efficient… we must design not only for the heat of the summer but also the cold of the winter months” explains Anthony Abate.
There are many reasons to make your home sustainable. The 3 most important are – the air in the home feels more comfortable and consistent, it helps the environment and you will save on your utilities in the long run. Here are Anthony’s 5 key upgrades that you can consider for your home.
1) Use energy star or equivalent triple pane windows for an energy efficient winter. With three layers of glass, these windows will ensure that your home is well insulated and prevent condensation or mold. On top of improving the insulation value of your house, these windows will increase your home value.
2) Decorative concrete flooring is a great example of an environmentally friendly, and economically sustainable way of living. Giving you a durable, low-maintenance floor that will last a lifetime. Concrete is especially important because it retains heat. Solar thermal performance concrete floors will absorb the heat from direct sunlight and release the stored heat as needed. This keep rooms warm and also delivers a more consistent temperature.
3) Cork Flooring is another great way to stay economically and environmentally friendly this winter. This flooring has a natural insulation property, meaning it naturally maintains its warmth for longer periods of time. This will reduce energy costs for your home and provides a warm feeling on your feet.
4) Hydronic radiant flooring is a great addition to your bathrooms and main floor. This system pumps heated water from a boiler through tubing that sits under the flooring. By using water to heat your flooring instead of Electricity to heat the air, the temperature in the home is more consistent and lasts longer. This reduces hydro costs and delivers a very comfortable way of living.
5) Smart Thermostats are an incredible way to reduce heating costs when you are not home. Updated technology allows you to monitor and control the temperature of your home with your smart device. Smart thermostats learn your schedule and preferences, allowing it to adapt according to your schedule and needs.